Thursday, March 6, 2014

Glimpse of Turkey 3/6/2014


I chose Turkish Airlines not only for their very low fare to Ghana (under $1,000) but also for the decent 22 hour layover in Istanbul which promised a glimpse at today's Turkey; at this point my memories of the city of 30 years ago are somewhat faded. In addition I found out that Turkish Airlines actually pays for the hotel stay in Istanbul a fact the airline does not advertise.

Turkish Airlines made a good first impression -- they run efficient boarding procedures from back to front and provide a kit for everybody's welfare. The only problem I encountered was negotiating the giant water bottle in the bathroom because I wanted water in my mouth while brushing my teeth. 10.5 hours Washington D.C. to Istanbul-- plenty of time to watch good movies, to read or to sleep. I listened to some African music and drifted off to sleep rather fast.  Full plane but one seat next to me was free!

Looks like this airline attracts a lot of travelers to Africa. A case in point, the young woman next to me was part of a larger group of US students on the way to a safari in Kenya--some students celebrate spring  break style!

The timing of the flight's arrival late in the afternoon in Istanbul, and the famous rush hour traffic really only allowed for a glimpse of the city while sitting in the airline's van to a hotel somewhere.


View from van

The trip took about an hour and then we arrived at a 5-star hotel --at a convention center far away from the city's old town. All expenses paid except dinner--compliments of this airline, or should I say, Turkey? Here a view of my room:







2 comments:

  1. Wonderful trip Barbara -- I hope the rest goes as well! Certainly proud of you and this opportunity for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice! Did you have to share the room or you got this room only for you?
    Turkey is one of the places I want to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete